In short a lot.
I’m not talking about Harambe vs Ratatouille, this is about the big box stores we all grew up with vs the online shopping universe. However in the world of retail today, writers, pundits and advocates are focused on how the mouse is being agile and changing, while the gorilla is the past. It is hard to argue against this when you see the Chapter 11 filings and job cuts that have hit the retail sector. When you look at the big picture, those gorillas still generated a ton of revenue in the past 7 months, and several of them are proving to be as agile as any mouse.
Let’s for a moment look at the grocery space. Companies like Kroger, Walmart, Albertsons and Target are all “preparing for war” or “staring down the Amazon barrel”. Interesting quotes, but in truth does the Amazon machine have the footprint in place to dominate the grocery space like they did with books?
The American consumer is still spending a tremendous amount of their hard earned dollars at physical stores. Of the $611.9 billion grocery-store industry business, in 2016 Wal-Mart controlled 14% of U.S. food and grocery market share. While Kroger had 7%, Whole Foods had 1.21% and Amazon was under 1%. Many are predicting those numbers to change drastically in the next few years. (Marketwatch 2016).
There is a David and Goliath battle erupting in the retail industry where small to mid size retailers are encouraged to adopt giant-killing tactics in a bid to grow their brands. We covered a similar topic in our e-book ‘Battle of the Brands: David vs. Goliath’ that includes strategies on how to move quick to capture new eCommerce market share.
Keeping an eye on the mouse is one thing. Calling it the victor is another.
- To Marketplace, To Marketplace..To Buy And Sell! – Part 2 - October 19, 2017
- To Marketplace, To Marketplace..To Buy And Sell! – Part 1 - October 16, 2017
- What is the difference between a gorilla and a mouse? - October 5, 2017
- NRA, NSA and NBA..I have heard of those, but what is NRF? - October 2, 2017
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind..Does Your Brand Leave A Lasting Impression? - September 25, 2017
- Shift or Reverse? Retail Is Alive! - August 17, 2017
- It’s Just Commerce! - August 8, 2017
- 1WorldSync AUG 2017: What Happens In Vegas..Does Not Stay in Vegas! - July 5, 2017
- There is no I in Team…but there is a me - June 13, 2017
- Lights, Camera, Action: 1WorldSync AUG 2017 Awaits! - June 8, 2017