Do you ever feel like all you do is translate acronyms for a living? In this day and age we all need a playbook and glossary to understand industry terms, customer’s language and our own organizations lexicon. As we interact more with new industry acronyms, we tend to forget that not everyone can understand the distorted alphabet coming out of our mouth.
During my time at 1WorldSync, I have become fluent in GS1, Walmart, AutoZone and several others. Why do I label them like languages? Because they are. An organization that makes products is called a manufacturer right?
Well, in 1WorldSync, this organization would be a called a supplier, at Walmart they are known as a vendor and for GS1 they are known as a source. Why the different terms? It starts with understanding how 1WorldSync, GS1 and all the others view their world of customers/suppliers/contributors/partners/vendors. Each one has their own perspective on how this organization fits into their world.
NRF, the National Retail Federation, has been a popular acronym added to my repertoire lately.
Why is NRF the most recent addition to these industry languages and why should this interest you? NRF has a mission to “advance the interests of the retail industry through advocacy, communications and education.”
Sounds like a bold mission, and they have a massive membership that includes all aspects of retail consumption ranging from Department Stores to Grocers and chain restaurants, and we, 1WorldSync are a member too.
For anyone with children, you know that the back to school shopping rush seems to come earlier every year. The NRF has been conducting a Back-to-School survey since 2003, reporting on how consumers shop for the back to school season and how retailers need prepare as well adjust to industry trends. The NRF is a great “back-to-school headquarters” for every consumer and industry insider.
- 1WorldSync Annual User Group 2018 Recap: Unleash The Power Of Your Product Content in Phoenix – Part 2 - June 21, 2018
- 1WorldSync Annual User Group 2018 Recap: Unleash The Power Of Your Product Content in Phoenix – Part 1 - June 19, 2018
- In Cart We Trust - March 21, 2018
- To Marketplace, To Marketplace..To Buy And Sell! – Part 2 - October 19, 2017
- To Marketplace, To Marketplace..To Buy And Sell! – Part 1 - October 16, 2017
- What is the difference between a gorilla and a mouse? - October 5, 2017
- NRA, NSA and NBA..I have heard of those, but what is NRF? - October 2, 2017
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind..Does Your Brand Leave A Lasting Impression? - September 25, 2017
- Shift or Reverse? Retail Is Alive! - August 17, 2017
- It’s Just Commerce! - August 8, 2017