Consumers continually demand a seamless shopping experience across all platforms. So, the flip side of course is that if a customer can’t find the right product online, it becomes a source of frustration and likely a loss sale. The quest for omni-channel supremacy continues for retailers across the board. Mega retailers, such as Walmart, are investing heavily in e-commerce (think Jet.com acquisition).
In the case of Walmart, it’s been 14 months since the company announced their Store Assortment Online (SAO) Initiative requiring suppliers to provide images and descriptions for all SKUs sold in-store, for use on Walmart.com. In case you need a refresher, the SAO initiative means that Walmart is requiring suppliers; to provide online content for their products, whether sold online and/or in-store. This includes all eligible items, including perishable food items. According to Walmart, “This applies to all SKUs in all categories regardless of store count.”
Walmart’s commitment is clear. They are putting major effort towards winning the omni-channel shopper. Walmart wants to create a seamless shopping experience whether online or in-store.
The idea behind the SAO initiative is focused around the consumer. The more a consumer can see, feel, learn and experience a product through an online search, the more likely the consumer is to purchase both online and in-store. While this SAO initiative is a winning strategy for Walmart, it becomes an enormous opportunity for manufacturers and suppliers.
1WorldSync’s Omni-Channel Solutions help manufacturers and suppliers increase the availability of product information and get their products to Walmart.com. Whether you have a single item or hundreds of items, 1WorldSync’s Solutions will help you share information with Walmart in a simple, seamless manner.
Want to find out more? Download our new eBook, “How Suppliers Can Conquer the Product Information Challenge To Grab the First Mover Advantage,” and gain the competitive edge you need in this every changing, ever growing eCommerce world.
- Shoptalk 2017 Recap - March 28, 2017
- Walmart Unleashes Bold Strategy To Take Amazon Head-On - February 7, 2017
- The Supplier Side – Must Do: Leveraging Walmart’s Store Assortment Online Initiative - September 27, 2016
- Retail: The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated - September 14, 2016
- “Are You Ready for a Micro Moment?” - September 8, 2016
- “Silos – A Roadblock to Omni-Channel Victory” - September 2, 2016
- “Great News for Suppliers: Walmart’s Acquisition of Jet.com” - August 11, 2016
- How Shoppable Are Your Products? - August 8, 2016
- The Dream of a Product Shelf. How to Get Your Products Online and Selling. - June 28, 2016
- Game, Set, Match. Online Shopping Takes the Lead. - June 21, 2016