“A rapidly spreading condition occurring every year when the weather begins to warm up and summer approaches. Symptoms include: extreme laziness, distraction and sudden lack of effort.”
Yes, indeed it’s a real disease (according to the Urban Dictionary). So here we are, with Memorial Day in our rear view mirror and summer literally days away. And of course, with summer comes…. vacation and people wishing they were on vacation… and full blown cases of what we call “shopping summeritis.” While this may be a joyous time of the year for many, online retailers may not exactly share the same excitement. Don’t believe us? Well, there’s research to confirm that. When temperatures rise, online sales go down – way down.
“When consumers start reaching for sun block and ice cream rather than their credit cards and tablets, that shows up on e-retailers’ bottom lines. An analysis of online shopping habits in the summer by SumAll shows gross sales for online merchants in July decline 30% from December highs, and average order value falls nearly 5% below the annual average in August.”
Well, have no fear. We have a few great suggestions that will help keep your shoppers engaged and avoid the dreaded ‘summer-itis.’
- Leverage Monday Madness
Online shoppers spend the most per item on summer Mondays ($41.13) and the least on summer Fridays ($34.74). So it’s a great opportunity to incorporate sales incentives, such as free shipping for orders of $100 or more on Mondays. This will help push consumers to purchase higher priced items.
- Increase your Social Media Engagement
Remember those millennial shoppers we’ve talked about? Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall, no matter what the season, you can always count on millennial’s heavy usage of social media. This means that their phones and tablets are still within reach. Take advantage of this opportunity to constantly update your social media channels to engage with your customers. Whether you are showing off a new product or providing a discount code. One day to focus your energy towards is Wednesday. During the summer, Wednesday accounts for a very high number of sales throughout June to August, according to Internet Retailer.
- Information, Information, Information!
While people may not be reaching for their keyboard or laptop, their mobile device is always within reach. Take this opportunity to create a summer focused communication sharing information pertaining to discounts, new products and special promotions. Provide links to product specifications, photos & videos and customer comments. Don’t underestimate the power of relevant, complete and trusted product information to boost your online sales this summer. It might just be the antidote you need to combat the dreaded summer blues.
- Shoptalk 2017 Recap - March 28, 2017
- Walmart Unleashes Bold Strategy To Take Amazon Head-On - February 7, 2017
- The Supplier Side – Must Do: Leveraging Walmart’s Store Assortment Online Initiative - September 27, 2016
- Retail: The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated - September 14, 2016
- “Are You Ready for a Micro Moment?” - September 8, 2016
- “Silos – A Roadblock to Omni-Channel Victory” - September 2, 2016
- “Great News for Suppliers: Walmart’s Acquisition of Jet.com” - August 11, 2016
- How Shoppable Are Your Products? - August 8, 2016
- The Dream of a Product Shelf. How to Get Your Products Online and Selling. - June 28, 2016
- Game, Set, Match. Online Shopping Takes the Lead. - June 21, 2016