Over the past few years, there have been several technological advances pushing the Omni-Channel expansion into brick & mortar stalwarts.
One of the last frontiers has been grocery. But times are changing…Amazon Fresh and Walmart have been making major plays to move your weekly trip from the grocery store to your living room couch.
Just last week, Walmart announced that they will expand their online grocery delivery services to 100 metropolitan areas and 800 stores nationwide by the end of the year. They are contracting drivers through Uber, Deliv and other delivery platforms.
What about the relinquishing of choice?
If I go to the store, I make a decision about which apples to select from the bin, what steaks to get from the counter, which milk has the best expiration date etc. In the digital space, that choice is in the hands of the person designated to pull my order and deliver it to me. Will he/she have the same eye for quality and will take the care to select the right product for me? That is a tall order and without the right product content, my expectations as a consumer will not be met.
In store, I can see, touch and sometimes taste the food before I commit to buying. If I make the wrong choice, be it due to variety or dietary needs, then it is on me. When we shift to the digital space, the only choice I make is by the touch of my mobile screen. All the activities I performed in store were limited to just one sense – sight. So my trust has now narrowed into two areas: a) what I can see and b) who is bringing my groceries to the door.
Because the delivery is entirely in the hands of the merchant, I have trust that Walmart [recently rolling out grocery delivery] is going to make the best selection from the products on their shelves for me.
Seems like information on that product better be complete and correct to ensure that my decision is the right one.
How does your content look?
Could it use a check-up? 1WorldSync, the leading provider in product content solutions, can help. With our Data Quality offerings, we provide the right content to the biggest Omni Channel merchants and offer insight for end consumers so that they are making the right visual decisions.
- 1WorldSync Annual User Group 2018 Recap: Unleash The Power Of Your Product Content in Phoenix – Part 2 - June 21, 2018
- 1WorldSync Annual User Group 2018 Recap: Unleash The Power Of Your Product Content in Phoenix – Part 1 - June 19, 2018
- In Cart We Trust - March 21, 2018
- To Marketplace, To Marketplace..To Buy And Sell! – Part 2 - October 19, 2017
- To Marketplace, To Marketplace..To Buy And Sell! – Part 1 - October 16, 2017
- What is the difference between a gorilla and a mouse? - October 5, 2017
- NRA, NSA and NBA..I have heard of those, but what is NRF? - October 2, 2017
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind..Does Your Brand Leave A Lasting Impression? - September 25, 2017
- Shift or Reverse? Retail Is Alive! - August 17, 2017
- It’s Just Commerce! - August 8, 2017