The need for product information is on the rise; everyone wants it and everyone needs it. From your procurement officer to your end consumer, product information is impacting your business’s bottom line. Whether that impact is positive or negative is greatly dependent on the quality of your product information. Enabling your business to deliver high quality product information sets your business up for success in today’s market place. As the global leader in enabling trusted product information exchange, 1WorldSync has identified 4 key steps to delivering quality product information to trading partners:
- Understand what information is needed to support your products
a. Discover what information is needed to register your items within the Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN)
i. Some required information needed to register your items in the Global Registry includes:
1. Global Location Number (GLN)
2. Global Trade Item Numbers (GTIN), make sure to follow the GTIN allocation rules
3. Understanding how to build Product Hierarchies
b. Visit the Landing pages of the Recipients you wish to publish data to in order to understand the specific content requirements each recipient is looking for on your products.
i. Understand what Top-off attributes are needed to ensure a complete item record is published to your recipients. These may or may not be part of a standard GDSN attribute set.
ii. Some of the Recipients have provided a portal for you to see their entire requirements. An example of this is Kroger’s VIP Portal access.
iii. Utilize tools like The Attribute Graph (TAG) to gain further insight into the requirements across multiple recipients at one time.
- Build up a process for information gathering and governance to ensure you product records meet the information needs of your recipients.
a. Gather the needed information or attributes of your product discovered during step 1. These attributes may be stored in several locations across your organization.
i. GDSN Core
ii. Recipient Core
iii. Recipient Extended information sets
iv. Digital Assets
b. Instituting a foundation of Data Governance at the start
i. Understanding who owns the information or attributes and values within your organization
ii. Is there a cleanup processed needed on your information to ensure it meets all requirements discovered in Step 1?
- Determine the right distribution method to get your content to your recipients through GDSN
a. Automated information uploads and publications utilizing XML
b. Manual Portal entry
c. Select a data loading service
- Maintain and Support your product information. Once you synchronize your information to the recipient, the process has not finished. There may be specific clarifications or inconsistencies that you need to address. Also recipients are continuing to expand their need for information on your products.
a. Review Data Accuracy Score Cards provided by recipients to highlight information challenges.
b. Stay up to date on the latest recipient requirements
i. Landing Pages
c. Utilize the business and governance processes put into place during step 2.
i. Information is constantly changing as marketing and brand owners continue to customize and position their products towards specific end consumers. These changes in information need to flow to your recipients to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction for your products.
ii. Digital Assets are the face of your product in a digital world. If there are changes to the package, a new image is needed.
- 1WorldSync AUG 2017: What Happens In Vegas..Does Not Stay in Vegas! - July 5, 2017
- There is no I in Team…but there is a me - June 13, 2017
- Lights, Camera, Action: 1WorldSync AUG 2017 Awaits! - June 8, 2017
- 1WorldSync Proudly Presents: The Bar Method! - June 6, 2017
- Top 5 Reasons to Attend 1WorldSync 2017 Annual User Group, Americas! - March 14, 2017
- 1WorldSync Exclusive Community Benefits – Get the most out of DC - April 6, 2016
- Top 5 Reasons to attend 1WorldSync 2016 Annual User Group, Americas - February 17, 2016
- Translate images into dollars - September 14, 2015
- Shopping for Quality Content - September 2, 2015
- 4 Steps to Delivering High Quality Product Information Using the GDSN - August 14, 2015